Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kayla and The Ghostmen: Band Session.

So I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty nervous for this session. More nervous than I had gotten for one in quite awhile. It's not that I thought it was going to be unsuccessful(I have done a session before with the singer, Kayla, and she is impossibly photogenic! So I knew it wouldn't be a problem), it's just that I knew it was going to be a new challenge. This was my first band session and I really wanted to nail it. On top of that, the planning was a bit rushed. Kayla and the guys were recording the following week and needed the photos pretty quickly. I had tons of cool ideas...but all involving locations too far away...and with props I didn't have...we had to improvise!

The location I had in mind turned out to be under construction the day of the session. We arrived to the spot...band members all dressed, memory cards emptied, everything ready to go...only to find that we couldn't shoot where we had planned. I tried not to panic and quickly decided to head to another spot nearby that I had seen a few times driving by, but had never really gotten out to explore.
When we got there, the sun was nowhere near ideal and the whole spot was poorly lit. I decided we would make it work, praying that as the sun got lower it would light the location in the way I had envisioned for their session and give us the lighting we needed.

Basically, we winged it... But that's what photography is all about! You can't be prepared for everything and lots of times you will be caught off guard. Just gotta learn to roll with the punches.

Little did I know, as the sun fell lower and lower, that we were about to get some of the most AMAZING lighting I had ever had the pleasure to work with. The whole location transformed in the matter of an hour and I was feeling pretty blessed!

The session ended up going great. These three were ridiculously easy to work with and so easy-going. Definitely made a difference in the final outcome! I guess I can't take all of the credit ;)

So I present to you...Kayla, Jake, and Isaiah of Kayla and The Ghostmen.

















Kayla, you are STUNNNNNING....


My fave of the day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment